Founding and age
Bad Münstereifel developed from a daughter monastery of the Benedictine Abbey of Prüm founded around 830, which was first called “Neumünster” and later, after its location, “Münstereifel”. Around the monastery and the market the settlement arose that is first designated as an “oppidum” (town) in 1299. Until 1967 the place was called Münstereifel; since the state recognition as a Kneipp spa in 1974 it has carried the designation Kneipp spa. The Rhineland Town Atlas dates the oldest settlement finds in Münstereifel to around the year 700 and stresses that a formal elevation to town status is not documented. According to KuLaDig (LVR Office for Archaeological Heritage), the construction of the castle and the elaborate walling of the place are documented for 1299; under the Counts of Jülich, Münstereifel became one of the four main places of the county from 1312. According to baukunst-nrw, the town foundation goes back to the establishment of the Benedictine monastery in 830; the present collegiate church was built in the 12th century after a predecessor building had been destroyed by fire. 1618 and 1625 mark with Capuchins and Jesuits the transition to a Counter-Reformation character; the Jesuit church was built in 1659–1668.
The monastery was a filial foundation of the Abbey of Prüm in the upper Erft valley. In 844 the bones of the Roman martyr couple Chrysanthus and Daria were brought to the monastery; Münstereifel thus became, alongside Kornelimünster, a place of the Archdiocese of Cologne with Roman relics and developed into a place of pilgrimage. In 898 King Zwentibold of Lorraine granted the monastery market, mint and toll rights; south of the monastery walls a produce collecting market and settlement arose. Between 1105 and 1115 the monastery was converted into a collegiate foundation with up to 30 canonries. In 1167 the Romanesque House was built as the residence of the scholastic at the northern immunity boundary of the foundation. According to baukunst-nrw, the predecessor of today’s collegiate church already arose after 844; the present 12th-century building followed after fire destruction of the older church.
In the 12th century the monastery was converted into a collegiate foundation. The secular settlement appears in 1112 as villa, in 1197 as regium forum and in 1299 as oppidum. In 1265 Münstereifel came into the possession of the Lords of Bergheim, in 1312 to the main line of the Jülich ruling house; in 1317 the castle is first mentioned in a document. According to baukunst-nrw, the town fortification was built from the end of the 13th century by the Counts of Jülich and measures about 1.6 kilometres in length; it has been restored since 1956. Münstereifel became a co-capital of the Duchy of Jülich and a cloth-trading town: in 1339 Margrave William I of Jülich allowed the wool weavers to produce cloth to Cologne standards, in 1422 Duke Reinald granted four long-distance trade fairs, and in 1454 the council constitution followed. After the collapse of long-distance trade around 1600, Catholic orders were deliberately settled (Capuchins 1618, Jesuits 1625, Carmelite nuns 1657). In 1794 the French revolutionary army occupied the left bank of the Rhine; Münstereifel lost its status as co-capital and became a mayoralty in the canton of Rheinbach. In 1803 the foundation and monasteries were dissolved. In 1856, according to the Rhineland Town Atlas, Münstereifel received the Rhenish town ordinance. From the late 19th century tourism developed; in 1881 a beautification association was founded that joined the Eifelverein in 1890. In 1926 Münstereifel became a Kneipp spa resort; in 1928/29 the foundation stone was laid and the Kneipp spa house opened. On 1 July 1969 the municipal reorganisation created the large municipality of the Town of Bad Münstereifel with 57 districts and residential places. According to the town chronicle, restoration of the collegiate church was completed in 1890 after the north-western flanking tower collapsed in 1872. In 1171 the Münstereifel board of lay judges was first mentioned; from 1197 it exercised market jurisdiction. In 1344 Münstereifel cloths were first mentioned in Cologne as quality cloths. In 1469 the town additionally received a weekly market. In 1487 the duke confirmed the St Sebastian Schützenbruderschaft. In 1618 the Capuchins settled with monastery and cloth manufactory; in 1625 the town council brought in the Jesuits to found St Michael’s Grammar School. In 1657 the Carmelite nuns arrived; in 1659–1668 the Jesuit church was built and consecrated in 1670. In 1836 St Michael’s Chapel on the Michelsberg burned down and was rebuilt in 1857–1860. The Eifelverein local group Bad Münstereifel describes the walling at the end of the 13th and in the first half of the 14th century under the Dukes of Jülich as a valley fortress “Moenstere in der Eyffelen” opposite the Archbishopric of Cologne and quotes Renard (“Rheinische Städtebilder”), according to which Bad Münstereifel is “the clearest and best-preserved, indeed the only example of the systematic walling-off of an entire valley section” in Germany. According to the Eifelverein, the 1.6 km town wall with four town gates as well as a total of 20 corner bastions, wall towers and fortified Erft passages is the best-preserved in NRW; the castle as part of the ring wall is first documented in 1317 and was destroyed in 1689 by troops of Louis XIV.
| Year | Title | Description |
|---|---|---|
| um 830 | Monastery foundation Neumünster | Abbot Marquard of Prüm founded the daughter monastery “Neumünster”, from which the settlement and place name Münstereifel developed. |
| 844 | Transfer of the relics of Chrysanthus and Daria | The bones of the Roman martyr couple were brought to the monastery; Münstereifel became a place of pilgrimage. |
| 898 | Market, mint and toll rights | King Zwentibold of Lorraine granted the monastery market, mint and toll rights; a produce collecting market developed before the monastery gates. |
| 1299 | First mention as a town | Münstereifel is first named as an “oppidum” in the sense of a fortified town; in 1999 the town celebrated the 700th anniversary of this mention. According to KuLaDig, construction of the castle and the walling are documented for 1299. |
| 1454 | Council constitution by the Duke of Jülich | On 10 November 1454 Münstereifel received a council constitution with seven lay judges and seven council friends; from this body the mayor was elected annually. |
| 1689 | Destruction of the castle | Retreating French troops destroyed the Münstereifel castle on 21 April 1689; the ruin temporarily served as a quarry. |
| 1890 | Railway connection Euskirchen–Münstereifel | With construction of the branch line, connection to the railway network was established and an essential precondition for tourism. |
| 1926 | Kneipp spa resort | Münstereifel was chosen as the centre of the Kneipp healing method in West Germany and developed into a Kneipp spa resort. |
| 1967–1974 | Bad title and state Kneipp spa | On 10 October 1967 the town received the right to carry the title “Bad” Münstereifel; on 12 September 1974 state recognition as a Kneipp spa followed. |
| 1969 | Municipal reorganisation | In the course of the reorganisation of the district of Euskirchen the large municipality of the Town of Bad Münstereifel with 57 districts and residential places was created. |
| 1167 | Building of the Romanesque House | The Romanesque House was built as the residence of the scholastic at the northern immunity boundary of the foundation; since 1975 it has housed the local history museum (Hürten Museum). |
| 1422 | Four long-distance trade fairs | Duke Reinald of Jülich-Geldern granted the town two further long-distance trade markets; Münstereifel thus had four seasonal long-distance trade fairs of four days each. |
| 1476 | Cloth makers’ Gewandhaus | The later Gothic town hall is first mentioned as the Gewandhaus of the Münstereifel cloth makers; in 1550/51 the western wing with arcade followed. |
| 1856 | Rhenish town ordinance | According to the Rhineland Town Atlas of the LVR, Münstereifel received the Rhenish town ordinance in 1856. |
| 1926 | Kneipp spa resort and Kneipp association local group | Münstereifel was chosen as the centre of the Kneipp healing method in West Germany. On 6 November 1926, according to the Kneipp Association, a local group with 100 members was founded; in 1928/29 the foundation stone was laid and the Kneipp spa house opened. |
| 2014 | Opening of the City Outlet | The City Outlet Bad Münstereifel was ceremonially opened and, according to the town chronicle, contributed substantially to revitalising the town centre. |
| Ende 13. Jh. / 1. Hälfte 14. Jh. | Construction of the town fortification under the Counts of Jülich | According to baukunst-nrw, the town fortification was built from the end of the 13th century and encloses the historic town centre over about 1.6 kilometres. Tree-ring analyses of beams from two town gates point according to KuLaDig to the second half of the 14th century; the first named mention of the town gates is documented for the 1470s. |
| 1818 | Flood and demolition of the Upper Schoßpforte above the arches | After the flood of 1818, according to KuLaDig, the Upper Schoßpforte had to be demolished down to the arches; wall walk and Werksturm were lost. |
| 1956 | Astropeiler Stockert | On the Stockert near Bad Münstereifel-Eschweiler, according to the town and Astropeiler Stockert e. V., a fully movable 25-metre parabolic antenna was built; the facility is regarded as Germany’s first freely movable radio telescope and is today owned by the NRW Foundation. |
| 1966 | Discovery of the Roman lime kiln at Iversheim | During construction of a water pipe the kilns were discovered; since then, according to the town, six preserved kilns have been excavated and documented. Since 2021 the site belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage Lower Germanic Limes. According to the town portrait of personalities, Toni Hürten among others discovered the Roman lime kiln at Iversheim. |
| 12. Mai 1971 | Inauguration of the Effelsberg radio telescope | The Max Planck Institute for Radio Astronomy inaugurates the 100-metre radio telescope in Bad Münstereifel-Effelsberg; full commissioning followed in 1972. It ranks among the two largest fully steerable radio telescopes on Earth. |
| 1982 | Town fortification as architectural monument | According to KuLaDig, the medieval town wall with four town gates, further defensive towers and two water gates has been a listed architectural monument since 1982; Bad Münstereifel is also a protected monument area. |
| 1878 | Kulturkampf and departure of the Salvator sisters | In the course of the Kulturkampf the St Salvator sisters had to leave Münstereifel on 4 April 1878; Mother Ursula Scheeben went with the sisters and twenty schoolgirls to Roermond in the Netherlands. |
| 1872–1890 | Collapse and restoration of the collegiate church | According to the town chronicle, in 1872 the north-western flanking tower of the collegiate church collapsed; in 1890 restoration of the 12th-century church was completed, including rebuilding of the tower and the gallery building over the porch. |
| 1881 | Foundation of the beautification association | According to the town chronicle, a beautification association was founded in 1881 that joined the Eifelverein in 1890 and set the course for tourism as the main livelihood. |
| 1894–1899 | Archiepiscopal boys’ seminary Collegium Josephinum | In 1894, on the 1,050th anniversary of the transfer of relics, the shrine was carried to the foundation-stone laying of the Archiepiscopal seminary on Trierer Straße; in 1899 the boys’ seminary “Collegium Josephinum” outside the town gates was occupied. |
| 1821–1930 | Sale, repurchase and restoration of the town hall | According to the town information on the historic old town, the dilapidated Gothic town hall was sold for demolition to a beer-brewing family in 1821 and used as a beer and malt store; in 1904 the town bought the house back, and from 1930 it again served as town hall. |
| 26. Februar 1928 | Foundation stone of the Kneipp spa house | According to the town portrait of Dr Louise Greve, spa physician Dr Adolf Greve was among the dignitaries at the foundation-stone laying of the municipal Kneipp spa house on 26 February 1928; in 1929 the spa house was opened. |
| 1918 | Atonement cross on the Radberg | According to the town chronicle, in 1918 a granite cross was erected on the 432 m high Radberg east of the core town as a sign of atonement and warning after the First World War; in 1939 it had to give way to anti-aircraft positions and was re-erected in 1955. |
| 1907 | Opening of a gate in the Langenhecke | According to the town chronicle, in 1907 a gate was broken into the town wall at the Langenhecke; the Langenhecke running north–south is first mentioned for 1475 and after completion of the town wall around 1350 had no access from the north. |
| 1984 | Restoration of the upper chamber at the Heisterbacher Tor | According to the town information on the historic old town, in 1984 the upper chamber for the historic wall walk at the Heisterbacher Tor was restored; since 1984 the castle has also been in private hands. |
| 20. Oktober 1911 | Visit of Emperor Wilhelm II | According to the town portrait of Josef Jenniches, the contemporary witness reported the visit of Emperor Wilhelm II on 20 October 1911 in Münstereifel. |
| 1171 | First mention of the board of lay judges | According to the town chronicle, the Münstereifel board of lay judges was first mentioned in 1171; from 1197 it exercised market jurisdiction, from which the town council later developed. |
| 1344–1411 | Guild rights of the crafts | In 1344 Münstereifel cloths were first mentioned in Cologne as quality cloths. In 1346 the shoemakers, in 1395 the tailors and cloth shearers and in 1411 the wool weavers received their guild rights from the Jülich lords. |
| 1469 | Grant of the weekly market | The Duke of Jülich granted his town Münstereifel a weekly market in addition to the four annual markets; the annual markets as fairs were of more than regional importance. |
| 1487 | Documentary confirmation of the St Sebastian Schützenbruderschaft | The Duke of Jülich confirmed by charter the brotherhood that had already existed for generations and granted statutes as well as a shooting range in the western moat. |
| 1618 | Settlement of the Capuchins | The Capuchins settled in Münstereifel, founded a monastery and a cloth manufactory with which they supplied the monasteries of their Rhenish province with woollen cloths. |
| 1625 | Jesuits and foundation of St Michael’s Grammar School | The town council deliberately brought the Jesuits to Münstereifel; they founded St Michael’s Grammar School. Pupils were to lodge in private quarters and thus open a source of income for the citizens. |
| 1657–1670 | Carmelite nuns and Jesuit church | In 1657 the Carmelite nuns settled and maintained a pharmacy for the poor. In 1659–1668 the Jesuit church was built and consecrated in 1670. |
| 1769/70 | Monastery building of the Carmelite nuns | The Carmelite nuns erected their monastery building; according to the town chronicle, the former monastery today houses the primary school and in the street-facing area part of the town administration. |
| 1836 / 1857–1860 | Fire and rebuilding of St Michael’s Chapel | The chapel on the Michelsberg burned down in 1836; according to the town chronicle it was rebuilt in 1857–1860. |
| 6./7. Juni 1997 | Opening of the Swan Pharmacy Museum | The Swan Pharmacy Museum at Werther Straße 13–15 was opened in the building of the historic Swan Pharmacy; from 1806 to 1994 the Bresgen family had run the pharmacy there. |
| 1961 / 2006 | Handweaving community and Handweaving Museum Rupperath | Robert A. Esser founded the Workshop Community for Handweaving Art in Rupperath in 1961. In 2006 the collection was reopened as the Handweaving Museum; in 2008 the operating association Alte Schule Rupperath e. V. received the town’s volunteer award. |
| 24. Januar 2019 | Honorary citizenship for Heinz Georg Kramm (Heino) | At the New Year reception Mayor Sabine Preiser-Marian conferred honorary citizenship on the singer Heino; the town council had passed the resolution on 20 November 2018. |
| 17. September 1956 | Commissioning of Astropeiler Stockert | According to the town report on the 50th anniversary of the Effelsberg radio telescope, on 17 September 1956 Germany’s first radio telescope, the Astropeiler on the Stockert near Eschweiler, began operation. |
| 28. April 1971 | Visit of Minister-President Heinz Kühn and King Baudouin | A few days before the inauguration of the Effelsberg radio telescope, according to the town, North Rhine-Westphalian Minister-President Heinz Kühn visited the facility and welcomed King Baudouin of the Belgians; both signed the Golden Book of the Town of Bad Münstereifel. |
| 1. August 1972 | Full measuring operation Effelsberg radio telescope | According to the town report on the 50th anniversary, the Effelsberg radio telescope began full measuring operation from 1 August 1972 after it had been inaugurated on 12 May 1971 following about three and a half years of construction. |
| 2007–2008 | LOFAR station Effelsberg | According to the town page for the district Effelsberg, a LOFAR system networked with other radio telescopes in Europe has been in operation on the site since 2007. The town report on the 50th anniversary names the extension with the international low-frequency network LOFAR for 2008; since then, according to the town, two radio telescopes have been operated in Effelsberg. |
| 15. Juli 2023 | Inauguration of the Erft freestanding staircase | On the second anniversary of the century flood, according to the town page, Mayor Sabine Preiser-Marian ceremonially inaugurated the freestanding staircase on the Erft. The staircase with integrated photo paving stones by Cologne photographer Joachim Rieger marks the place where water masses and debris tore a large hole in the Erft wall; mobile flood barriers secure flood protection. |
| 1955 | Establishment of the school for judicial officers | According to the town page on today’s University of Justice NRW, the school for judicial officers already settled in Bad Münstereifel in 1955; from it emerged in 1976 the University of Applied Sciences for the Administration of Justice or today’s University of Justice of North Rhine-Westphalia. |
| 1976 | University of Applied Sciences for the Administration of Justice / University of Justice NRW | According to the town, the University of Justice of North Rhine-Westphalia has existed since 1976 as a university of applied sciences for the public service with its site at Schleidtalstraße 3 and conference area at Hermann-Pünder-Straße 2 in Bad Münstereifel. |
| 1592–1594 | Girls’ school Zum Salvator by Margarethe Linnerie | According to the town portrait, from 1592 Margarethe Linnerie began teaching for female youth in the parental house and gave the institution the name “Zum Salvator”; in 1594 she publicly took the vow of chastity in the collegiate church. On 19 February 1649 Elector Wolfgang Wilhelm confirmed the girls’ school by charter as a monastic institution under Jesuit supervision. |
| 1222 | First mention of the church at Effelsberg | According to the town page for the district Effelsberg, the church is first mentioned in 1222 in the commentary on the Prüm urbar; until 1694 it was a subsidiary of St Martin in Kirchsahr. |
| 1881–1883 | New building of the parish church of St Stephanus in Effelsberg | According to the town page for the district Effelsberg, the new church building dates from 1881–1883; the predecessor on the cemetery site was demolished in 1886. The feast day of the parish church of St Stephanus is 26 December. |
| 1278 | First mention of Arloff Castle | According to the town page for the district Arloff, the castle is first mentioned in 1278 and was subject to the Duke of Jülich; in Arloff both Electoral Cologne and Jülich courts existed at the same time. |
| 1954 | Discovery of late Gothic wall paintings in the Hubertus Chapel Arloff | According to the town page for the district Arloff, significant remains of late Gothic wall paintings in the Hubertus Chapel date from the 15th century and were discovered during restoration work in 1954; in the chapel pilgrims of St James left signs on the way to Santiago de Compostela. |