Founding and age
Below the castle of Schleiden, first mentioned in a document in 1198, the settlement of the same name grew up. Schleiden has been referred to as a town since 1360; according to its own account the town does not possess a medieval town-charter document. Today’s town with eighteen districts was formed by the municipal reorganisation on 1 January 1972. The eighteen places (Berescheid, Broich, Bronsfeld, Dreiborn, Ettelscheid, Gemünd, Harperscheid, Herhahn, Kerperscheid, Morsbach, Nierfeld, Oberhausen, Olef, Scheuren, Schleiden, Schöneseiffen, Wintzen and Wolfgarten) did not, according to the town history, arise before the high medieval clearance period and therefore bear purely German names. A charter of 1309 permitting the noble lord of Schleiden to admit Jews within his castle precinct is taken by the town history to suggest that Schleiden was already a trading place at that time.
According to the official town history, Schleiden does not possess a document granting town rights already in the Middle Ages. Since 1360, however, the place has repeatedly been referred to as a town; in 1575 Schleiden received an imperial market privilege. Prussia recognised Schleiden as a town in 1843 and in 1856 finally conferred the Rhenish municipal code. Today’s town was formed on 1 January 1972 from the former towns of Gemünd and Schleiden and the administrative units of Dreiborn and Harperscheid (with further incorporations). As early as 1271 Konrad II of Schleiden became a Luxembourg vassal; in 1360 the “Statt” of Schleiden became a fief of Jülich. After the House of Schleiden died out in the male line (1434), the lordship passed via Nassau to the counts of Manderscheid (1451). Louis XIV annexed the Schleiden lands as well in 1682 as part of his reunion policy; after the destruction of the castle an unfortified château was built in the 18th century, including the Couven wing around 1744.
Schleiden was the centre of a lordship or county and for a long time a Luxembourg fief; in 1829 the district seat was moved to Schleiden (Schleiden district). From the 15th to the 19th century the Schleiden valley was a centre of a significant iron industry. With a rail connection, the Eifelverein and the construction of the Urft dam, tourism gained importance. In 1972 Schleiden lost its status as district town but was considerably enlarged in area. In parallel, within today’s municipal area, the sub-lordship of Dreiborn (castle first mentioned in 1334) and Gemünd (first mention 1213) developed with their own territorial history until the French Revolution. In 1795 the County of Schleiden as Luxembourg territory was incorporated into the French state; Gemünd came to France in 1798 (finally in 1801). In the winter of 1944/45 Schleiden and its surroundings, according to the Volksbund, came under heavy artillery fire; the castle and numerous buildings were destroyed in the Second World War. From 1951 the castle was reconstructed according to old plans; in 1978 the town was recognised by the state as a Kneipp spa.
| Year | Title | Description |
|---|---|---|
| 1198 | First mention of Schleiden Castle | The castle is documented as “castrum Sleyda”; the settlement of Schleiden arose beneath it. |
| 1360 | Designation as a town | From 1360 Schleiden is repeatedly referred to as a town; the “Statt” of Schleiden also became a fief of Jülich. |
| 1418 | Mention of the town wall | A town wall is already mentioned for Schleiden in 1418. |
| 1575 | Imperial market privilege | Schleiden received an imperial market privilege that had been requested for “his town” and granted to the “town”. |
| 1829 | District town of Schleiden | The seat of the district was moved to Schleiden; thereafter the district was called Kreis Schleiden. Schleiden remained the district town until 1971. |
| 1856 | Rhenish Municipal Ordinance | Schleiden was granted the Rhenish Municipal Ordinance after already being represented in 1843 in the towns’ body of the provincial assembly. |
| 1901–1905 | Construction of the Urft Dam | According to the Rhenish Town Atlas, tourism increased more strongly with the construction of the Urft Dam; the town history gives the period as 1901–1905. Nordeifel Tourism places the construction between 1900 and 1905 and describes the Urft Dam at the time of completion as then the largest dam in Europe. |
| 1972 | Municipal reorganization | On 1 January 1972 the present-day town of Schleiden was formed from GemĂĽnd, Schleiden, Dreiborn and Harperscheid; at the same time its role as district town ended. |
| 1145 | Oldest document of the municipal area | King Conrad III donated the cleared land of Walberhof (“Walebure”) in Überruhr to Steinfeld Abbey; the town history describes this as the oldest document of the municipal area. |
| 1213 | First mention of Gemünd | Gemünd (“Gemunde”) is first mentioned in a document when Hermann of Jünkerath bequeathed to Steinfeld Abbey, among other things, a forest as far as the bridge at the confluence of the Urft and the Olef. |
| 1252 | First mention of the place Olef | The place name Olef is documented with “Silmannus de Olefe”, a ministerial of Schleiden; the river name already appears in 1130. |
| 1334 | First mention of Dreiborn Castle | The castle “Troys Fontainez” (Dreiborn) is mentioned for the first time; Count William V of Jülich took it as a fief from King John of Bohemia of the House of Luxembourg. |
| 1451 | Manderscheid-Schleiden | After the House of Schleiden died out in the male line (1434), the lordship passed via heiresses to Nassau and in 1451 to the Counts of Manderscheid; the Manderscheid-Schleiden line gained high standing. |
| 1603 | Town fire of Schleiden | On 15 July 1603 a fire destroyed all of Schleiden below the outer bailey; within three hours 92 dwellings as well as more than 30 barns and stables burned down. |
| 1884 | Railway connection | With the railway connection (1884) as well as the later founding of the Eifelverein (1888) and the construction of the Urft Dam, tourism became an important livelihood. The civic foundation names the opening of the Kall–Gemünd–Hellenthal railway line, the so-called “Flitsch”, for 1884. |
| 1978 | Town twinning with Pont-l’Abbé | According to the Bürgerstiftung Schleiden, the former district town entered into a European town friendship with the French coastal town of Pont-l’Abbé in Brittany. |
| 2004 | Founding of Eifel National Park | The roughly 110-square-kilometre Eifel National Park was founded in 2004; according to Nordeifel Tourism, nearly 50 percent of Schleiden’s municipal area lies within the large protected area. |
| 2006 | Opening of Vogelsang | Since 1 January 2006 Vogelsang has again been accessible to the public; the former military training area was handed over to nature as part of the national park. |
| 1230 | Chapel outside the castle | According to the town history, from 1230 a chapel stood outside the castle on the site of the later castle church; the noble lord needed the Steinfeld monks for worship in the castle and chapel. |
| 1309 | Admission of Jews in the castle area | A document of 1309 permits the noble lord of Schleiden to admit Jews in his castle area; the town history interprets this as an indication that Schleiden was already a trading place at that time. |
| 1682 | Annexation by Louis XIV | In 1682, as part of his Reunion policy, Louis XIV also annexed the Schleiden lands; previously Luxembourg had increasingly developed territorial sovereignty out of feudal overlordship. |
| 1744 | Couven building at the castle | Around 1744, according to baukunst-nrw, the so-called Couven building was created as a connecting structure between the east and south wings of the castle to plans by Johann Joseph Couven. |
| 1951 | Reconstruction of the castle and Gemünd war cemetery | After wartime destruction, Schleiden Castle was reconstructed from 1951 according to old plans. On 16 September 1951 the Gemünd war cemetery on the Burghövel was inaugurated. |
| 1955–1959 | Construction of the Olef Dam | The Wasserverband Eifel-Rur names the initial construction of the Olef Dam in the Olef valley, eight kilometres upstream of the town of Schleiden, for the years 1955–1959; the drinking-water reservoir also serves flood protection, among other purposes. |
| 1958 | Kammerwall war cemetery | On 16 November 1958 the Kammerwall war cemetery in Schleiden was inaugurated by the Volksbund together with the town; according to the Volksbund, 436 war dead of the Second World War rest there. |
| 1978 | State-recognised Kneipp spa town | By decree of 10 May 1978 the Minister for Labour, Health and Social Affairs of the State of North Rhine-Westphalia recognised the town of Schleiden as a Kneipp spa town and conferred the designation “Staatlich anerkannter Kneipp-Kurort”. |